DVLA has posted a list of inventive excuses people have used for not taxing their vehicles.
Some of the more bizarre excuses are listed below, which DVLA told us definitely didn’t work!
- I’m about to start a prison sentence, so is there any way you could hang on to my ice cream van for six months ‘til I get out?
- I would’ve taxed my van but my bitter ex put four live chickens in it
- I know it was untaxed, but I didn’t think you’d clamp cars in a heatwave
- I forgot to tax it as I was looking after the kids (aged 19 and 26)
- I couldn’t tax my car as I’ve had man flu and have been stuck in bed for 4 weeks
- I would’ve taxed the car, but you clamped it so early in the morning (the car was clamped at lunchtime)
DVLA chief executive Julie Lennard said: “While we know that the vast majority of motorists tax their cars on time, there are still some who choose not to.
”Taxing your car is so easy to do online, so there really is no excuse – even if it is filled with chickens.”
The DVLA still sends reminders to motorists when their vehicle tax is due. You can also check when their vehicle tax is due 24 hours a day, seven days a week by going to the vehicle enquiry service on GOV.UK.