From Monday 10 May to Wednesday 30 June, DVSA will extend the opening hours at most theory test centres in England and Wales, where conditions allow.
Typically, centres will be open earlier and close later in the evenings. For example, some centres will be open from 8am to 8pm, and some might be open on Saturdays and Sundays where they were previously closed.
This will create 300,000 extra theory test appointments.
On Monday 12 April, DVSA started to open 10 temporary larger theory test centres.
These 10 temporary centres will create a minimum of 120,000 extra appointments each month. The centres will be in:
- Leeds (there will be two temporary centres)
- London (Docklands) (there will be two temporary centres)
- London (Holborn)
- Manchester (Salford) (there will be two temporary centres)
These temporary larger theory test centres will work slightly differently to normal theory test centres.
- Some sites will have up to 25 candidates testing at any one time. COVID-secure measures have been put in place to ensure the safety of candidates and staff, including:
- social distancing at least one metre apart from other people
- protective transparent screens at reception desks
- providing hand sanitiser to use on arrival, during the tests and when candidates leave the test centre
- cleaning workstations (including computers and headphones) before every test
- staff will wear a face covering (unless there’s a medical reason that it’s not recommended for them) and gloves. Candidates will have to wear a face covering too unless they have notified us in advance that they cannot
- candidates must come into the test centre alone to help with social distancing
A full list of the safety measures in place at all theory test centres is available here.
Your pupils will also notice that:
- Mobile phones must be turned off before entering the test centre
- There are no lockers for personal belongings – they will be given a rigid plastic box to put their belongings in and will need to keep this under their desk while they take the test. These boxes will be cleaned by staff after use
- Invigilators will be walking around the testing room, monitoring people taking the test, observing social distancing guidelines at all times
These details will also be included in the theory test booking confirmation email.
DVSA will prioritise candidates requiring special or additional support through dedicated appointments. At all locations, weekly appointments will be reserved to ensure that there is sufficient capacity to help reduce the wait time for these candidates.